Introducing Everything DiSC 363® For Leaders: A New Kind of 360!
Finally, a 360 for DiSC® users! But Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders isn’t just any 360. It combines the best of 360’s with the simplicity and power of DiSC, plus three personalized strategies for improving leadership effectiveness. The result is a 360° experience that’s more productive and satisfying.
So How Is 363 Different?
First, we took the sting out of 360 feedback. For many leaders, 360’s can be a frustrating experience. Open-ended comments can be unfocused and unhelpful and can even derail the learning process. With our exclusive selectable comments feature, CommentSmart, raters can give focused, balanced, constructive feedback—that the leader can actually use.
Then, We Made It Easier To Understands And Use.
Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders isn’t a collection of dry spreadsheets and charts without any explanation or story. Clear visuals and a conversational narrative style interpret and explain the data, making the report easy to understand and use.
And Finally, We Answered The “Now What?”
With a lot of 360s, the leader’s response can be, “Now what?” Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders answers that question by giving leaders their next steps with three things they can focus on now.
Research-validated online assessment with a 22+ page 360 profile helps leaders understand how others see them, using intuitive, easy-to-read visuals and feedback breakdowns, plus three personalized strategies for effectiveness.
363 For Leaders Facilitator Report
Designed to use exclusively with the Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders report, the 363® Facilitator Report pulls data from multiple leaders to assemble 360® feedback from a group of leaders. Along with a group summary, the 363 Facilitator Report breaks up data by each rater category (e.g. Manager, Peer, etc.), each practice within the individual assessment, and visually through each leader’s 363 graph to compare and contrast feedback from every angle.
Save time and reduce stress with CommentSmart, our exclusive selectable comments feature that allows raters to choose from highly-tested, behavior-focused comments to give more richness, context, and depth to their feedback.
Leaders And Raters
Leaders are given a two-part online profile assessment: The Everything DiSC assessment and the Leadership Behavior section about how they tend to lead.
Raters are given a two-part online assessment: the same Leadership Behavior section that the leader takes and the Leadership Requests section that asks which leadership practices they’d like to see the leader do more of.
Raters are broken into four groups: Direct Reports, Peers, Manager, and Other. Any combination of groups may be used and leaders can have an unlimited number of raters.
Getting Started Using Everything DiSC 363 ® For Leaders.
To reduce the time and energy it takes to implement your 363 program, we’ve created support materials to help you organize and speed up your workflow. While every organization has a different process for initiating and approving a 360-feedback program, our workflow materials assume that the formal proposal for using Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders within your organization has been approved, and you’re ready to take the steps necessary for a successful implementation.
To begin, take a moment to review the key project team roles and five phases of the Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders implementation process.
Project Team Roles And Definitions
- Executive Sponsor has the authority to implement and champion Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders within the organization.
- Program Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution of Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders. The Program Manager works with participants and the project team to ensure that all parties have the information and resources they need.
- EPIC Administrator is responsible for the EPIC (electronic assessment) process from start to finish.
- Coach provides leaders with their 363 feedback, answers their questions, helps them create action plans, and follows up to ensure that learning takes place. We recommend that trained coaches, either internal or external, be used unless managers have been trained in the coaching process.
The program set-up includes clarifying the purpose, scope, and timeline; and conducting meetings with the project team: executive sponsor, EPIC administrator, and coach.
Project Team Roles
- Executive Sponsor
- Program Manager
- EPIC Administrator
Meeting With Executive Sponsor
The information below provides an outline of the topics that we recommend be addressed in early set-up meetings involving at least the Executive Sponsor and the Program Manager.
Clarify The Purpose
- Identify how Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders will be used in your organization. For example: “The purpose of the Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders program is to encourage and support the development of excellent leadership at XYZ organization.”
- Successful 360’s are not used for performance appraisal. Be sure to communicate that Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders focuses on developing leaders by giving them insights into how others see them and that the results will not be used for appraisal.
Determine Scope And Timeline
- Identify the leaders who will participate.
- Determine which rater groups will be used: Managers, Direct Reports, Peers, and Others.
- Define who belongs in the “Other” group (if applicable; i.e. internal and external customers)
- Decide who will choose raters in your organization. Best practices research suggests:
- allowing leaders to choose their own raters.
- encouraging leaders to seek a broad spectrum of input (not just from colleagues who like them).
- Set a time frame that creates a sense of urgency so people don’t procrastinate, but is also realistic so it doesn’t interfere with day-to-day priorities. Sample timeline for a three-month project:
- Set-Up: allow 2 weeks
- Communication: allow 2 weeks
- Assessment: allow 4 weeks (set a two-week deadline and allow extra time for extensions)
- Coaching: allow 4 weeks (depending on number of leaders)
- Wrap-Up: allow 1 week
Brief Epic Administrator And Coach
- Assign the role of EPIC Administrator
- Brief the administrator on scope and timeline
- Direct them to their online resources
- Assign or hire coach(es)
- Brief the coach(es) on scope and timeline
- Direct them to their online resources
Successful 360 programs depend on clear and timely communication. The Program Manager is responsible for the day-to-day communication and execution of Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders. The organization-wide announcement, however, should come from the Executive Sponsor.
Project Team Roles
- Executive Sponsor
- Program Manager
Announcement To Organization
Since your entire organization will spend time and energy on the 360 process, it is important that every member of your organization understands the importance of the program.
- The Executive Sponsor communicates to every member of your organization:
- The purpose, time frame, and participants as outlined in the Set-Up phase
- The commitment of the organization to the success of the 363 process
- The announcement can be made via email, meetings, or both.
Leaders are notified by the Program Manager that they’ve been selected to participate. They are given a high-level overview of the purpose and process.
- Explain that the purpose of the 363 program is leadership development, not appraisal.
- Address common fears about 360’s and how Everything DiSC 363® for Leaders works.
- No snide remarks: open-ended comments are replaced with CommentSmart – a comment-selection tool that provides constructive, actionable feedback.
- No confusing data dumps: 363 uses visuals and a conversational narrative to explain the data and make the report easier to use.
- The focus is on development: 363 gives you 360 feedback plus three strategies for development—telling you where to spend your energy to improve your leadership effectiveness.
- Request that leaders consider who they would like to invite to be raters.
- Inform leaders that they will receive instructions for next steps by a selected date.
Detailed instructions for next steps are sent to participating leaders.
- Explain rater selection process and provide deadline for submitting rater information.
- Select raters from the following groups of people: Manager, Direct Reports, Peer, Others.
- Select four (4) people (minimum) for each rater group (except Manager). Please note that these minimum numbers reflect best practices; EPIC report generation requirements are different.
- Raters are asked about how you tend to lead and which leadership practices they’d like to see more of. Resist the urge to choose only people who like you or will give you only high marks. A wide variety of feedback is important for ensuring a valid report.
- Inform leaders about the email they will receive to take the assessment and the expected timing for completion.< >On [DATE], you will receive an email message from [Email address]; Subject line: Your leadership program—Action requested.Contains an access code to an online assessment that will take 20-30 minutes to complete.
- Complete the assessment by [DATE].
- The assessment is in two parts: a Everything DiSC assessment; and a 72-item Leadership Behavior section about how you tend to lead.
- Describe the follow-up steps after the assessment process is complete.
- One-on-one coaching session to process profile feedback
- Identify development areas and create action plan for follow-up
Raters are notified by the Program Manager that they’ve been selected to give feedback on a leader-participant, and they’re given detailed next steps.
- Explain the role of the raters
- Selected to give feedback on a leader-participant
- Purpose of the 363 program is leadership development, not appraisal
- Rater feedback is anonymous with the exception of the leader’s manager
- Address common concerns for raters in a 360 process
- Rater’s feedback will not get the leader in trouble—honest, straightforward feedback is essential for the development process
- All feedback, including the additional comments the leader receives, will be anonymous, except for the manager’s feedback
- 363 is faster and easier to use than other 360 assessments because raters don’t have to write out additional responses
- Inform raters about the email they will receive to take the assessment and expected timing for completion
- On [DATE], you will receive an email message from [Email address]; Subject line: Request for your input on [LEADER NAME]
- Contains an access code to an online assessment that will take 15-20 minutes to complete
- Click on the link, and complete the assessment the same day you receive it.
- Take the assessment seriously; think about responses, but don’t agonize over them; straightforward, honest feedback will assist in leadership development
- Describe the two-part assessment
- 72-item Leadership Behavior section about how the leader tends to lead
- 24-item Leadership Requests section asking which leadership practices you’d like the leader to do more of
- Using CommentSmart, raters can also select from pre-written comments to give additional feedback in the Leadership Requests section.