The Pain and Agony of Hiring New Employees
I hear at least one of these daily.....
- Why is there so much pain and agony in hiring new employees?
- They interviewed perfectly, then turned out to be terrible.
- I have no idea what questions to ask.
- We need someone now!
- We needed someone right away then hired the wrong person.
- They just didn't fit.
- What did HR see in this person?
- What did the hiring manager see in this person?
- Can't I just give them some sort of test?
While this does not even come close to all the complaints, it is a list of some more common ones. The key to setting your culture is to first to define it, then hire to fit the culture.
"Hire for culture and fit."
Yes, the candidate needs to have the baseline skills you are looking for but once you have established that you need to dive into whether that person fits into an established set of criteria you have set up for your company and that position.
To accomplish this, we use PXT Select™, a research-based, and time-proven pre-hire selection assessment. It not only helps you with culture and fit it is an online selection assessment that measures a candidate’s cognitive abilities, behaviors, and interests.
The assessment results equip organizations and hiring managers with easy to understand information about the candidate, and provides intuitive questions to strengthen the interview process. PXT Select™ measures a candidate’s thinking style, behaviors, and interests: three areas that impact an individual’s approach to situations in the workplace.
One of the best articles I have read on this topic is this one in Forbes.